Bluetooth Low Energy is abbreviated as BLE. It’s a low-power Bluetooth version that was first released in 2010. Beacons rely on BLE’s low energy requirements since it allows them to run for years on tiny coin-cell batteries. It also uses a lot less power than the old, clumsy Bluetooth. In fact, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) is a primary driver in the Internet of Things, allowing technology to survive longer with fewer parts.
A Bluetooth beacon is a small wireless device that uses Bluetooth Low Energy for communication, sending out a steady signal that other devices can detect. Instead of emitting visible light, it sends out a radio signal that consists of a series of letters and numbers that are repeated at regular intervals. Once a beacon is in range, a Bluetooth-enabled device, such as a smartphone, gateway, or access point, may “see” it, much like sailors looking for a lighthouse to know where they are.
What are Bluetooth Beacon used for?
- With room-level monitoring, you can see how full your workstation is: By assessing meeting-room, floor, and seat-level occupancy, you may save office space while also improving utilization, employee happiness, and productivity.
- Reduce your carbon footprint while improving your employee experience: Real-time monitoring of temperature, humidity, carbon dioxide, light, motion, and air quality.
- Make your workplace a safer place to work: In the event of an emergency, automate the people count in muster zones and the identification of the locations of workers and visitors.
- Control the flow of visitors: Enhances security management by providing a standardized procedure for real-time visitor tracking, linking hosts and guests while maintaining safety, security, and compliance.
- Ensure smooth indoor navigation: With turn-by-turn navigation, you may improve your orientation inside your building and make it simple for your employees and visitors to find their way to specified rooms so they don’t miss their appointments.
- Help monitor Environmental parameters: To check the surrounding temperature, pressure & humidity a Beacon is commonly used. Bluetooth beacons helps in monitoring and tracking the temperature, pressure & humidity parameters of an asset.
Mobilogix specializes in Asset Tracking and Management Solutions for Supply Chain, Cold Chain, Vehicle, and Equipment Tracking. Check out our BTM Series to know more about BLE Bluetooth Beacons and their many applications in IoT Solution architectures.